Tuesday 12 January 2010

River House & Safari House in Zambia

Let´s have some fun today and look at these two guest retreats in Zambia.


In Zambia on the Chongwe River, a tributary of the Zambezi, Robin and Jo Pope hired safari guide Neil Rocher to design a safari retreat whose undulations follow the contours of the trees he used as the frame.


The main room contains the sitting and dining areas. A winter thorn trunk, appearing as if it had fallen there, serves as a table base and bench seating.


“The concept,” designer Neil Rocher explains, “was an organic termite mound coming up from the ground.”


Even the baths—where the showers are waterfalls and some of the basins are carved out of Zambian stone by sculptor Eddie Mumba—look right out over the river and the bush. There are no doors in the house, but curved entrances ensure guests’ privacy.


Rocher aimed for a fortified aesthetic, though he left one side entirely open. “Nature on your doorstep”.


Rocher salvaged 25 dead leadwood trees, weighing five to seven tons apiece, to form what he calls the superstructure of the house.




Architectural and Interior Design by Neil Rocher
Photography by Tim Beddow

All images and information from Architectural Digest.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

  1. I don't know whether to love or hate this one! a bit weird to me!! love the views tho! I stole your flag counter... LOVE YOUR BLOG BABY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shawn for your comment.
    Hi there Annie! The guest houses are sure out of the common, they do make a change to the traditional hotels. I like the rooms and I feel the unusual architecture blends just fine with the African landscape.
    You made me laugh about stealing my flag counter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you find them a bit odd, i'd hate to think i'm getting normal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I think I will leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Widget By Devils Workshop